From:
Donna Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:54:47 -0800
I am in contact with a mum of a 4 week old boy who is having a lot of
trouble establishing a supply. Baby was born c-section (after induction)
and not brought to mum to nurse until the following day. Baby was given 2
bottles before brought to mum, despite mum's wishes that he not be given
formula or bottles. Mum reported a one litre blood loss at the birth. Baby
did latch on, seemingly well, but the mum said blisters developed despite
lcs at the hospital saying the latch looked fine.

There was some weight loss (I don't know how much, but enough to be sent
home supplementing). The mum rented an electric pump but is now using a
hand held pump, unfortunately only 2 to 3 times a day, as she has been
sterilizing it each time. She said the most she was ever able to pump was
about 2 ounces each day total. She experienced breast changes during the
pregnancy but no fullness or engorgement after the baby was born. She was
prescribed domperidone and noticed a slight increase but discontinued using
it when she developed a rash.

My questions (finally): Does the blood loss have anything to do with this,
and if so is it going to be a long slow increase of her supply? I think
what is going on as well is not enough breast stimulation and milk removal,
not helped by circumstances in the hospital, but I would have thought that
electric pumping would have gotten more than 2 ounces in a day. Is there
hope? I know the mum would persist if she thought things would improve,
even if slowly.

I suggested upping the pumping to at least as often as the baby would be
nursing, herbal remedies, getting the baby to the breast whenever he would
do so (and he's becoming more reluctant to go to the breast), suggested an
SNS, and said any amount of breastmilk and any time at the breast was good
for both her and the baby.

Suggestions?

Donna Hansen
Burnaby, British Columbia