HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:39:35 +1000
Dear Laird

The example on your web site is a very typical goldrush cricketer's badge.
Cricket badges have been found on a number of mid nineteenth century sites
in Victoria. Generally the were decorated belt buckles which were commonly
worn during the 1850's-1970's as part  of the cricketers uniforms. We  have
found a number on hotel sites it has been suggested that publicans issued
belt buckles to the hotel cricket team - possibly a form of early
sponsorship!

While a number of sites have turned up examples, the only one we have
illustrated on the web is a more elaborate one. It came from a 1850's hotel
- Shorts National Hotel along with another which is similar to yours. The
site was a pub built along the road to the Mount Alexander Diggings c.
1850. Generally they tend to be of pressed brass and not gilded. The
elaborate example was part of an exhibition we have touring Victoria and
can be seen at   http://www.heritage.vic.gov.au/Exhibitions1.html.

The Melbourne Cricket Club has a excellent collection of belts and buckles
and a references which illustrates some of them is: Glorious Innings:
Treasures from the Melbourne Cricket Club Collection, I can't see any
examples on their web site but they might be able to help you a bit more.
Their web site is www.mcc.org.au.

A local private collector has a very good collection, I will see if I can
get find a closer example to yours.

Hope this of use.

Leah

Dr Leah McKenzie
Manager, Heritage Approvals and Assistance
Heritage Victoria
22/80 Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000