HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jay and Beth Stottman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 00:38:49 -0400
I found that in the early 20th century there were many methods of garbage
disposal that were tried by cities.  At least in Louisville, they tried to
use an incenerator in the early 1900s, which required the separation of
combustable and non-combustable trash.  From sites of this time period, I
find a lot of ashes, clinker and glass in old cisterns and privies.  These
materials were not collected and were required to be separated from the
regular trash at that time.  This certainly left urban dwellers with the
problem of disposing of this stuff and demonstrates how significant the
waste disposal problem was and how the methods of dealing with it affects
our archaeology of that time period.

M. Jay Stottman
Kentucky Archaeological Survey