HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 23:19:36 +0800
The cost of shipping to and from WA has been analysed by Graeme Henderson.
It is well researched and contains lots of information on shipping costs but
it is only available as a master's thesis.

Henderson G 1977 From sail to steam: shipping in Western Australia, 1870 to
1890. Masters Dissertation. Uni. of Western Australia.

Cameron has written on the adaptation of farming in WA which was partly
shaped by transport costs. He has tables etc breaking down farming costs in
various areas which include the cost of getting the goods from the farm to
the market (London). You can access Cameron either as a Ph.D  thesis or a
book (sorry I don't have full references for the book)

Cameron JM 1975 Ambition's fire: colonisation and settlement of pre-convict
Western Australia. Ph.D Dissertation, Uni of Western Australia

Cameron JM 1981 Ambition's Fire.

I have written a paper on the effects of the difference in costs between
sea, river and land on land use and settlement patterns. But the paper does
not contain original ledgers or tables as it focuses on the pattern of
settlement that resulted. If you are interested in reading the paper the
reference is below.

Nayton G. 1992 The importance of the maritime perspective to the
understanding of Australian historical archaeological sites. The Bulletin of
the Australian Institute for Maritime Archaeology Vol. 16 Num. 2:17-24