From:
Peter Goldstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 23:44:28 -0500
Dave Lampson answered Bob Draper on the Haydn-Mozart thing better than
I could have, but I'd like to add one point.  Bob argues that Mozart could
do nothing but imitate other styles.  If that were true, he would have
become a second-rate Haydn or maybe JC Bach, and would have been regarded by
contemporary audiences accordingly.  But one of the reasons Mozart's career
stalled was that he was too original, too difficult for his audiences-all
sorts of contemporary comments verify this.  (If you want to hear Mozart
imitating other styles, listen to the finale of the string quintet K.  614:
he deliberately imitates Haydn there, and a heck of a good imitation it
is.)

But although I disagree with most of what Bob says, I understand exactly
where he's coming from.  It took me a very long time to appreciate Mozart,
mainly because I was such a Haydn devotee.  I looked in Mozart for Haydn's
wiry strength, crystal-clear beauty, and intellectual power, and didn't
find any of them.  I decided I just didn't get it, and put away Mozart for
many years.  When I came back, I still loved Haydn, but had broadened my
tastes considerably.  This time I got it, and I'm still getting it.

Best,

Peter Goldstein
Juniata College