From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:06:23 -0800
Richard Pennycuick ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>A number of such pieces I knew from the radio as signature tunes or as
>incidental music.  In particular, there was a piece that must have been on
>a sound effects record which was always used as "chase music" in radio
>serials (that phrase dates me, doesn't it?) and frequently appeared in
>Monty Python's Flying Circus.  It turned out to be The Devil's Galop, by
>Charles Williams.  The name would mean nothing to most listers, but I'm
>sure many would recognise it instantly.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd be fairly confidant that this was the music used
for the old radio series "Dick Barton - Special Agent".

Much of this music was used as signature tunes, but not written to order.
I once had the great good fortune to interview Ernest Tomlinson and he told
me that in the great days of light music (50s and early 60s) the BBC would
call him up and say, we're putting out a programme about a
doctor/vet/whatever do you have anything suitable?

A good example if the March from Trevor Duncan's Little Suite.  Already
in existence before being used as the theme tune for Dr. Finlay's Casebook
(no, not the 1990s version screened on PBS)

Deryk Barker