From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:24:04 PST
I wasn't planning on buying the Eroica Trio's recent *Baroque* disc: it's
a compilation cd on modern string instruments.  But I did happen to hear a
fair amount of it at a local record store while browsing around and talking
to the department manager.

The Trio takes the "baroque" out of baroque; there were times I could have
taken the playing for Brahms.  If you have my kind of taste in baroque
music, stay clear of this recording.

Of greater significance, Dan (the department manager) is strongly involved
in classical music happenings in Albuquerque and met all three members of
the Trio not long ago.  He said that each one of them looks much better
in person than in a photograph.  It's hard to argue with talented and
fine-looking.  Dan's a reliable and good guy; he knows what I like to
talk about.

I do hope that the Eroica Trio someday takes a little hiatus from its
customary instruments and enters the world of baroque performance.  They
might like it.  In the meantime, it looks like the stars are looking down
favorably on these artists who have actually been around for many years.
They've paid their dues, and I hope they love the limelight.

Don Satz