From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 20:16:14 +0100
Donald Scarinci wrote:

>Is there a preference for Haitnik's 10th on CD? I'd like a good recording,
>so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Yes, this is a solid performance to live with.  Although the competition
(even in the midprice range) is big.  Here are a few which certainly won't
disappoint you from point of view recording/price/interpretation:

1.  Karajan, Berliner Philharmoniker.  Very broad and brooding approach.
    On Deutsche Grammophon.

2.  Ashkenazy, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra London.  Excellent recording.
    Great bonus: the chamber symphony op. 110a.

3.  Previn with (if I'm not mistaken) London Symphony Orchestra.  A bit
    older, but still a very decent sound indeed, and probably the cheapest
    of these.

4.  Haitink.  As said above.  Also coupled with another Shostakovitsj.

5.  Mravinsky with Leningrad Philharmonic.  If you're in for a certain
    histrionics this is the one.

But beware, if you can just be patient for 2 months, I've heard there is a
Gergiev under way.  This might be fireworks, judging by what he has shown
so far.

regards, Jos