HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Maddy Atkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:52:23 +1000
About a decade ago our local council became environmentally conscious and
despite the resistance of older generations of residents, passed a law
banning rubbish burning and the use of incinerators.  However, being a
multicultural neighbourhood with a large percentage of people originating
from the Mediterranean, an important exception had to be written in to the
code: all outdoor burning is banned EXCEPT for the purposes of making
tomato sauce in late summer! (It must be a coincidence that the fumes
generated by the fires underneath the tomato pots smell like burning rubber
and worse!)  Even so, future archaeologists who uncover domestic ash piles
dating to the late 1980s/1990s could well be dealing with a very specific
activity and/or ethnicity indicator!

Cheers
Maddy