HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gronenborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 16:35:34 +0100
Leon -- During the 18.th century flint was used as a tempering material in
porcellain production in Germany and I hear it is still used in England
today. Evidently quarz was used when flint was not available.

Slotta, R.
1980
Feuersteine zur Herstellung von Porzellan.
In: G. Weisgerber, R. Slotta u. J. Weiner (Bearb.),  5000 Jahre
Feuersteinbergbau - Die Suche nach dem Stahl der Steinzeit. Veröff.
Deutsch. Bergbaumus. Bochum 22 (Bochum 1980) 362-363.

regards

(Dr. Detlef Gronenborn)
_____
Johann-Wolfgang-Goethe-Universitaet             mailing address/home:
Seminar fuer Vor- und Fruehgeschichte           Kronberger Str. 21
Archaeologie und Archaeobotanik Afrikas         D-60323 Frankfurt/M.
Robert-Mayer-Str.1                              Germany
D-60325 Frankfurt am Main                       Tel.(+)49-(0)69-17 38 17
Germany                                         mobile/SMS (+)49-(0)173-66-20790
http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~bornu