HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Neal Hitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:53:42 -0500
John and Phil,

Make something clear. Are you advocating a law restricting the rights of
property owners to do undocumented amateur archaeology on their land? Thats
what I am reading into your messages. These laws, I am assuming would be
similar to the preservation statutes in England.

I agree with John on a couple points but I dont know how "competition" is
the issue.  I have worked with a contractor who detailed to me his extensive
collection of points and tools that he had collected on private property on
his own time. Sometime after this I had a brief problem when I was informed
that there had been testing done in an area of my site not in the APE but in
a site suggestive of settlement. I take serious offence against this as this
contractor was working on the site. It makes me nervous to think that an
archaeologist could lift objects from my sites. Now I have to think about
this and watch for it all the time. Something that I would not have
considered before. I think there are serious ethical problems when
professionals collect on their own time, even if it is legal. In this case
John is right that the collecting(stealing) can become additive. On the
other hand, I know a farmer in northern Ohio who has a collection in the
neighborhood of 6000 undocumented artifacts that he has picked up after
plowing his fields. This I have no problem with. It is a matter of intent.
Any kind of law you are advocating will effect this farmer. Obviously, his
farm sits on a fairly extensive pre-historic site. He is doing nothing wrong
and is not destroying anything, he is just farming. Now, what if he, or his
children after he is dead or even better a third party settling his estate,
wanted to sell the stuff. How can you convince anyone in the general public
that this is a problem. And yet, any law that would protect a Civil War site
on private land would effect him.  Additionally, I am sure there are a lot
more farmers with pre historic sites on their land than there are private
landowners with battlefield sites, especially here in the north.  It comes
down to a matter of public interest as Kevin has said several times. If it
is a matter of educating the public about these resources and their
importance than we are not doing a very good job.

Neal Hitch