From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 20:01:04 -0500
John Calvin Errickson asks:

>This may be old hat to most in this forum and I know jillions of different
>versions exist but could anyone be so kind to give advice on what he or
>she considers to be relatively good performance of Verdi's requiem? The
>copy I have is the Eugene Ormandy conducted a few deacades ago.  It is
>rather unsatisfying to me.

First, you've got to decide how you want this work to go.  I'm more
interested in the choral parts and the "vulgar" moments:  Dies irae,
Sanctus, Libera me.  Good soloists don't hurt, but it's the "punch" of
the work that grabs me.  That said,

Toscanini/RCA: I used to love this version.  Now, it seems rather ordinary,
as does a lot of Toscanini to me these days.  He seems to merely beat time.

Giulini/EMI: Probably as good a baseline performance as any.  Many consider
it standard.

Bernstein/Sony: This should have been wonderful.  As it stands, it's syrupy
and congested.  It barely moves.

Reiner/RCA: Gorgeous sound and for my money the best solo quartet.
However, it takes a long time to get going.

Solti/Decca: My favorite.  Pavarotti at his young, lyrical best (you can't
believe he once sung so well).  Great choral work.  Solti's got rhythm.
It's an ideal work for him to conduct: episodic and filled with sensational
moments.  Gorgeous sound.

Steve Schwartz