From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:27:22 -0800
Tony Duggan ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Ralf Oehlmann writes:
>
>>I was surprised to see that Mahler's 9th by Horenstein is not available
>>anymore.  ...
>
>In fact, there are persistent rumours that this will eventually appear on
>BBC Legends in better sound and I have high hopes.  As far as I know, the
>BBC don't have a master tape of this any more and so would have to rely on
>a private tape of which, I believe, there is one quite good one out there
>other than that used by M & A.  ...

Certainly when I wrote to the BBC while preparing my Horenstein
discography, this was not among the recording they said they had in their
library.

I also, however, have read of (not heard) a stereo tape of the performance.

It is astonishing.  I realised when I got the CD why I had nevcer quite
been satisified by any previous recording I'd bought: I was at this
performance, and obviously it sunk in...

Deryk Barker