From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:01:08 -0800
Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Lastly I must say that if there ever was proof indeed that Mozart has
>become a sacred cow, then the fact that any thoughtful critique of his
>music is interpreted as crude Mozart bashing.  The Glenn Gould quotation
>ought to have been merely a reminder that any critical thought - even the
>crudest - is better than complacent idolatry.

The term "sacred cow" implies an irrational view that cannot hold up to
scrutiny or critical thinking, so the mere act of referring to Mozart as
such is bashing him.  And, frankly, Glenn Gould would have been better
talented than he was if he had possessed one thousandth of Mozart's genius.

No, I do not advocate uncritical listening under any circumstances.  The
beauty of Mozart (or Beethoven, Bach, Schubert, etc.) is that, the more
critically one listens to them, the more brilliantly they come through.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: www.bigfoot.com/~CulverMusic