From:
Barry Brenesal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 20:56:12 EST
Richard Pennycuick writes:

>Many years ago, a friend heard and was very taken with the 3rd symphony of
>Felix Draeseke (1835-1913) and during the intervening period, occasionally
>wished he could hear it again.  I notice that his first symphony and piano
>concerto have been released by Dabringhaus und Grimm, which sounds more
>like a firm of consultant archaeologists than a record company.  These are
>played by the Wuppertal Symphony which is hardly a world- renowned outfit,
>but we've got used to good performances from lesser-known orchestras.
>Perhaps Denis or another lister who lives in Germany knows a little more
>about the music or the orchestra or both?

I'm afraid I'm not from Germany, but possibly I can help.

Felix Draeseke's Sym #3, "Symphonia Tragica," was written in Dresden in
1886, and published in 1887.  It was quickly taken up by several prominent
German conductors of the day, notably hans von Bulow.  The music is heavy
and somber (as befits the title), and rather Brahmsian at times.

It was first recorded back in 1955, with the Berlin Symphony Orchestra
under Hermann Desser--not a particularly distinguished recording, but
still, the only one for many years.  I'm particularly fond of the middle
two movements, a dark, romantic adagio, and a bucolic scherzo.  Unlike
Brahms, Draeseke seems to have been a masterly orchestrator.  (And in
fairness to Brahms, he could be, when he wanted to be.  I'm just of the
opinion that he didn't always think orchestrally while writing for
orchestra.)

Curiously, I've read that Draeseke was the author of (among other, more
august and weightier tomes) a rhymed book on harmony.  This would no doubt
make fascinating reading.

Barry Brenesal