From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:11:21 +0000
Gary Smith wrote:

>Kubliek's set is decent, but you can save a little money and get a much
>better set I think, but going with Istvan Kertesz's set on Decca.  It is
>a wonderful set, and his middle symphonies are particularly enjoyable.

What is the sound quality like on these recordings? Some of Kertesz's
Decca recordings are ok but some I've heard had absolutely dire sound.

>Dvorak's symphonies are some of my favorites.

Yes apart from the first two which are oveblown.  In fact I seem to
recall that Dvorak tried to conceal that he had ever written these.
But, as always seems the case someone had a copy concealed somewhere.

There is much more to Dvorak than the "New World". He is yet another
victim of being over-identified with a particular work.

One of my favourites is number 7 especially the first movement which
is very well constructed.

In another post Don Satz praised the Dvorak Quartets.  I have still only
heard a few of these.  I picked up the Stamitz Vol3 op34/op16 in a sale for
next to nothing.  These are superb but the whole set is beyond my means.
The earlier Moyzes op96/op105 on Naxos was OK but others have now been
praising the new Naxos issues.  How do these compare to the Moyzes?

Bob Draper