From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 18:10:29 +0000
In the last month I have seen Charlotte perform twice on television.

The first time was at the 'Smash Hits' concert in London.  The second time
was a studio performance with no audience.  After the first performance I
was tending to agree with you.  She certainly seemed the be struggling that
day.  However the second performance was completely different.  She was
much more assured, more accurate and displayed a very attractive voice.

My conclusion is that the stress of performing in front of a live audience
together with obvious tiredness affected her singing in the first
performance.

She will grow our of such problems and in my opinion eventually become a
great singer.

Charlotte came over as a very sweet girl in both performances.  A
refreshing change from the usual arrogance of many performers.  It is also
to her credit that she turned down offers to perform for The Queen, Bill
Clinton and the Pope on New Years Eve, so that she could be with her
family.

Kevin Sutton wrote:

>Far worse than the sham is the potential damage that all of the improper
>singing can do to her future adult voice.  She's what, twelve? And already
>I see a tremendous amount of tension in her jaw and neck, and that vibrato
>is maddening.  She will do herself in in no time at all if she continues to
>sing that way!

Actually Charlotte is 13 now.

I don't share your misgivings about her singing.  But, the neck movement
you mention is decidedly disturbing.  I have never seen anything like it
on another singer.

Can any professional singers out there confirm whether or not it is usual
for a singer's neck to make oscillations of such amplitude?

"Bob Draper" <[log in to unmask]>