From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 01:18:45 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>... I don't think I'm ready for the "Border Patrol Philharmonic".
>However, that orchestra could play the 1812 Overture and let the cannon
>balls fly at the unsuspecting illegal immigrants trying to climb the
>fences.  They wouldn't know what hit them.

Well we have the Marine Corps band that many think is pretty good, as well
as bands of the other services and the Singing Sergeants from the Air Force.

I agree that there is always a risk of governmental restriction in
government sponsored functions.  The last, and best, illustration of this
that I recall hearing about occurred in the 50s when my law school room
mate was still an undergraduate at Bucknell, which is near Lewisburg, which
is the site of a high class federal penitentiary, which at the time fielded
a fine debating team, w/ which the Bucknell team debated.  As a federal
institution, Lewisburg was not permitted to argue the affirmative on the
question of whether we should recognize "Red China".

Walter Meyer