From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 20:09:56 -0500
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>...  Assuming that Ron does not have any harpsichord recordings of baroque
>works, I would suggest a few recordings to find the answer to the question.
>If Ron were to get, say, Hantai on Opus 111 for the Goldberg Variations,
>Gilbert on Archiv for The Art of Fugue, and Leonhardt on DHM for the
>Well-Tempered Clavier, and he did not care much for those cds, he could
>safely conclude, for now, that the piano is the way to go.

I would add the recent HMV budget re-releases of performances by Gilbert
and Moroney.  The entire HMV Bach re-release series is probably the bargain
of the century for any Bach fan.  Let's see:  you get a six CD box of
French&English suites plus the partitas by Gilbert on hpsd.  for about
6 a disc.  For about the same money you get another box of 7 CDs with
Moroney's (hpsd.) WTC, Art of Fugue and Musical offering.  Then we have all
cantatas Herreweghe recorded for HMV in two separate box sets of (I think)
9 CDs total, again budget-priced.  Add to these several mid-priced reissues
of B minor mass, St.  John passion and Magnificat (Herreweghe), and the
Christmas oratorio (Jacobs) (only counting the ones I'm familiar with), and
it begins to look like a dream come true.

I am very favourably impressed by the Gilbert and Moroney recordings; esp.
the Moroney WTC is wonderful (and I am normally very partial to piano
recordings in this repertoire).

Ulvi