From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 11:56:07 PST
J.C. Bach is probably as good an example of the music representing the
transition from baroque to classical music as any other composer of that
time period.  For me, his music has a special attractiveness based on
having one foot in the baroque and the other in the classical tradition.

There are three characteristics of J.C. Bach's music I'd like to highlight:

Flow - His music flows so well within a framework of excellent
craftsmanship.  With increased listening, this flow makes it relatively
easy to know that you're listening to the man's music.

Elegance - Bach's music is highly elegant in a "light" manner.  I love that
degree of elegance, and it always insures that I come back to Bach.

"Sunny" Music - I see Bach as essentially an upbeat composer whose
relatively sad movements and passages retain a healthy degree of optimism.
Angst is not his pedigree.

CPO has been churning out frequent recordings of Bach's orchestral works.
One such category has been the concertante works which exhibit fully the
traits I mentioned above.  The new disc is volume 4 of the concertante
series.  As with the previous volumes, Anthony Halstead directs the Hanover
Band on period instruments.  And, as before, the performances are spot-on
with an exhilarating lilt, fine elegance, and superb pacing.

I do want to bring up the distinction between period instrument and
modern instrument performances of this repertoire.  My view is that
modern instrument performances give a "turgid" quality to the works which
is entirely out of proportion.  Also, it changes the element of elegance
inherent in the works; there is a lack of clarity and crispness which is
detrimental.

Back to the disc at hand.  My only reservation is a slight congestion of
sound which takes place at loud orchestral passages.  Using my equalizer,
I was able to eliminate the congestion, but that move reduced the
attractiveness of the solo instruments.  So, I'm living with the slight
congestion which I can't say is significantly bothersome.  But, I wouldn't
want you to think all was perfect.

The works contained in volume 4 consist of the Symphonie Concertante in C
major for two violins and cello, Symphonie Concertante in E-flat major for
flute, oboe, and bassoon, Symphonie Concertante in G major for two violins,
cello and flute, and the Violin Concerto in C major.  Of the four works,
the Violin Concerto is listed as a first recording.  The catalog number is
999 627-2.  Total minutes of music are 65, a number which shouldn't disturb
anyone.

Of course, J.C. was not a highly innovative composer.  He was born 3
years after Haydn was delivered, and there's a large difference in their
music.  Haydn went forward, J.C.  took what was at hand.  But, that does
not diminish the pleasure to be experienced through his music.  He was a
consummate professional craftman who could write beautiful and elegant
melodies at will.

Don's Conclusions: This new disc and the others in the series
are must-buys for J.C. Bach fans who are not allergic to period
instrumentation.  Many others will also be drawn to the music and
performance style.

Don Satz