From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:00:28 PST
Bob Draper wrote of Haydn recordings:

>Then get some of the quartets.  A good budget buy is the Kodaly on
>Naxos try op 64 onward to start.  You like piano music then get the
>Jando Haydn set again on Naxos.

Bob and I just don't agree on the Kodaly and Jando Haydn recordings.  I
think they are good; I've been listening some lately to Jando's recordings
of Bach's WTC - that's good too.  But, I think there are better out there,
and that's a tribute to the great and extensive high level of artistry, not
a knock on the Kodaly or Jando.

Bob, why start with opus 64 onward? I like the opus 20 quartets very much,
opus 33 is almost as good, and opus 17 can hold its own as well.  My
favorite performers in this repertoire are the Lindsays, the Taitrai and
the Alban Berg on modern instruments, the Mosaiques and Salomon on period
instruments.  Bob, have you heard these? I'd be interested in your opinion.

Don Satz