From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:06:31 PST
Jonathan Knapp wrote concerning Mozart's Magic Flute:

>I thought about adding the Klemperer to the list, but I thought that
>it might draw objections since there is no dialogue.

Let them object.  Klemperer's is a glorious account, and it's the music
that counts.  Soloists are superb, pacing just right, and the recorded
sound is spectacular for its time, easily better than just about any other
version.  There is a little sound congestion at the loudest/highest vocal
notes, but that doesn't reduce my enjoyment at all.

Concerning the dialogue, just get a booklet from another version, make
copies, invite your friends over, and have at it.  There's always a way to
correct perceived deficiences.

Don Satz