From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:31:09 PST
Steve Schwartz lays it on the line concerning Schmidt vs. Zemlinsky:

>Schmidt by leagues.  Nothing in Zemlinsky comes close to Das Buch mit
>sieben Siegeln.  However, I admit Zemlinsky does absolutely nothing for me.

Sorry to hear that.  I just love Zemlinsky's brand of lush orchestral
music, and I think he writes very well for the voice.  And his string
quartets and other chamber works get much playing time in my home.

Schmidt's no slouch either.  Like Steve, I have high esteem for "Das Buch",
the symphonies, and his chamber works (particularly the string quartets).

So, I'm going to go with Zemlinsky, because there's more of his music on
record.  I'm taking the easy route.  The main thing is that I'd like to
see these two fine composers get more recognition and recordings.

Don Satz