From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 23:26:02 +0100
Willem Vijvers:

>I know a book in Dutch by a Francis Maes (History of Russian Music, 1996).
>He is Flemish and spent one year with Richard Taruskin as a Fullbright
>Research Fellow.  ...
>
>Is he the same as Vic Maes? And if not, has either of them published
>anything more?

You're right.  It's been a while since I read it.  Yap, it's Francis Maes,
so it's probably the same book.  Please enlighten me on a few things:

1.  Why is his picture of non-American writing unfair?

2.  Which composers did Taruskin write on that Maes did ommit, and how does
it influence the righteouness of Maes's conlusions?

3.  I would be much interested in the recent German research you mention.
What did Maes miss out on?

In short, I found Maes's assessment of the "mighty five", especially
Moussorgsky very controversial but at least more tickling than the
standard "CD booklet notes".  E.g.  Moussorgsky might not have been the
man with revolutionary ideas altogether that some like to see in him.
Original yes, a major influence of course, but also rather more stereotype
Russian upper middle class alcoholic full of spleen than some of us like
to think of him.  Perhaps just as interesting, but a little less noble? As
to Rimsky Korsakov:  Maes points out that as he grew older he more and more
put distance between himself and some features of the mighty five.  I had
always thought this to be so.  Tsjaikovski on the other hand might not have
been exlusively the Western oriented, idiosyncratic composer some have
taken him for.  So perhaps a little more original than some highbrows would
like? Provoking views in any case.  If they are far fetched, please do
point out to me why.

regards, Jos