HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 00:48:03 +0100
In message , Howard Beverly <[log in to unmask]> writes
>So, it would not surprise me to find
>marbles on a military site that were used in some form of "adult"
>recreational activities.

Marbles can be used for gambling/gaming for money (they were banned at
my middle school (ages 8-12, suburban Northampton, UK) in the mid 1970s
for this reason.

Being more likely to come to the attention of authorities for sculking
in warm cloakrooms than for gaming with marbles, I'm afraid I don't know
the pecuniary details.  I think it evolved after the game where one lobs
a coin at a target spot (and the nearest coin takes all thrown) was
outlawed. However, to children, all things seem newly invented (c.f. the
Opies work), so it would not surprise me to find that earlier references
turn up.

Best wishes to all
--
Pat Reynolds