HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Daniel H. Weiskotten" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 23:01:00 -0500
Hello All:
        Some friends are doing some research for the living history museum at St.
Marie Among the Iroquois (on the shore of Onondaga Lake in Syracuse, NY)
http://web.lemoyne.edu/museums/stmarie/
and they have come across a reference to a fur-bearing animal called a
"pappcote."  The reference is from 1703 and it seems that 4 of them were
equal to 1 beaver skin, indicating that it is a small animal.  I'm
wondering if it might be a raccoon, but am not sure.
        Would any of our trusty Hist-Arch subscribers have a clue as to what this
little beast might be.  Smoke (Pfeiffer), if you have run across this while
building your wonderful Fur Trade Bibliography that would be super!
http://www.digitalpresence.com/histarch/furtrade.html

        Thanks in advance!
        Dan W.