HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mark Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 15:41:38 -0700
Dear Gifford:
Has your friend looked at the meticulously documented:
"The North American Buffalo: A Critical Study of the Spiecies in its Wild State"
by Frank Gilbert Roe, University of Toronto Press, Second Edition 1972, 991
pages.   Chapter X is devoted to "The Buffalo Habitat and Its Historical
Chronology : East of the Mississippi River."
A little more recently published with a current to 1980 listing of 14C dates is:
"North American Bison: Their Classification and Evolution" by Jerry N. McDonald,
University of California Press 1981.   The geographic listing of dated bison
sites  (Appendix 2) doesn't include many protohistoric/historic dates east of the
Mississippi River, but this might be a good place to start looking for more
recent excavated reports if this isn't adequate for your friend's purposes.  Hope
this helps.
Mark Henderson
Ely, Nevada USA