Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:05:38 -0800
From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
At the risk of inciting a fury comparable to spilling my drink on Kathleen
Battle at a party hosted by Toscanini, I'm adding one more post to the
"Repeats" thread.

I wrote a suite for wind ensemble a couple of years ago which revolved
around a previously composed adagio that was originally for flute and harp.
(I know, I know; If it's John let it be Field and if it's Smyth, let it be
Ethel--ha ha.) I added three additional mov'ts and during the subsequent
rehearsals of the "finished product," I realized that two of the mov'ts
really didn't fit, and that the Adagio and Finale could, (and should,)
stand alone.

I asked the director not to perform the two questionable mov'ts but he
suggested that I should certainly get a recording of them in performance.
I agreed.  The concert was a success, and I have since moved on
professionally.

The point is, days turned into weeks and weeks turned into years, and I
haven't found the time to request the score back.  If anyone in the future
should want to perform the work, they would not know of my above concerns.

While not having any delusions of "Banduer," by comparing myself to the
Greats, I just wonder how often this could have happened in the past.

John Smyth