Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2010 21:32:12 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

I'm a big fan of dry ice, you can never have too much dry ice.  I love to take a nice, big chunk in my carefully insulated gloved hand and ask for a quarter from someone in the audience.  My little rap is all about how scary Halloween can be for some people, and I'm told that even George Washington was a little afraid, and just to prove it, when ever you mention it's Halloween, George....he starts to shake!  With that, I put the edge of the quarter into the dry ice, (so quarter is standing up) it immediately starts to shake!  Another way you can prove how much George is afraid of Halloween is to have him scream.....all that is needed for that, is to do the same thing with the quarter on end, except this time, push the quarter hard into the ice and hold it, it will make a lovely squealing noise until it cools down.  Then it gets all frosty and you can say something like "see, George was so scared, he turned all white!"  The little kids get a huge charge out of it.

I've also done the quarter trick as "I'll bet I can make a quarter dance"  or with adults, "Man, the economy is so cold right now, it's shakin!"...or "I'm trying to hang on to my money right now, everytime I take it out to spend, it screams, it's been so long since it's been out of my pocket!"  HAHAHAHA.

Anyway, like I said you can never have enough dry ice.  Just be safe with it....

Marcia Hale
Still doing Science even without a science museum job!
Boise, ID

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2