From:
"Diane L. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 1995 20:01:06 -0400
Hi, everyone!  I've been "lurking" since joining LACTNET a week ago, and must
admit that it is a wonderful resource!   A special thanks to  Denise
Mollenkopf ([log in to unmask]) for introducing me to it.  I am married and have
three daughters (20,18,16). I  sat the boards in Miami in 1991--remember
freezing to death in the exam room, Kathleen A.?

 I moved up to North Central Florida a little over a year ago from So.
Florida -- what a wonderful change. ( I did however have a great job at
Baptist Hosp of Miami working with Sharon Breunig as staff LCs.)  After
relocating,  I worked at a large well-known teaching hospital in this area in
the NICU waiting for the creation of a LC position.  Well, they re-organized
last fall, created the position, but never posted it and gave it to someone
who was a long-term employee and had lost her position in the
re-organization. Incidentally, she sat the boards last summer and  failed.
When I challenged the administration regarding this, they admitted I was more
qualified but their primary concern was finding a position for her.  Needless
to say, I no longer work there.  Since February, I have been the Healthy
Start nurse for  Levy County (big pay cut but worth it).  Next Tuesday, for
the first time ever, a breastfeeding support group will meet in the
county!--AH! Back to what I love to do.

Enough about me-- something has been troubling me and feel it could impact on
our profession.  Many nurses who complete training modules such as Florida's
Healthy Mothers/Healthy Babies program are called "certified lactation
nurses" by the institution who gave the program.  The public does not
recognize the difference.  Recently, a local hospital boasted about having 22
certified lactation nurses on staff--to me this is deception and false
advertizing.  Any comments?  Thanks again for Lactnet.

Diane L. Wilson RN BSN IBCLC