From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"LACTNET" discussion list
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 18:46:05 -0500
I am aware of a situation as follows: The mother has a 5 day old baby.
Jaundice high, bili at 17.
baby not nursing at all. Receivng cup feedings and bottle feedings in
hospital. WIll be d/c from hospital Saturday.

Mother single...frantic, nervous. Unsupported, but intelligent. Baby did
nurse before milk cam ein, now mother is pumping, and doing feedings at cup,
etc.

Unclear as to why the mother hasn't been able to get baby to latch. Mother
has seen various nurses who have tried to help her, but have not been
successful so far. I suggested to the nurse a nipple shield with an SNS
underneath in an attempt to get the kid to latch, taking away n.shield after
a few minutes at breast if he sucks successfully there.

Any other suggestions? He screams and fights at breast acc to mother.

Thanks!

Kathleen Bruce RN, IBCLC                 (W) 802 878-6181
766 South Road                                  (H) 802 879-8854
Williston, Vermont 05495 (USA)
Bloom Where You Are Planted!