Help for LACTNET Archives

LACTNET Archives

LACTNET@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

LACTNET Home

LACTNET  January 2010, Week 5

LACTNET January 2010, Week 5

Re: Media talking points for breastfeeding and the Haiti emergency

Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:56:26 +1100

Very good Marsha and I can add that WHO has just issued a statement on HIV
and infant feeding in Haiti which includes the following section on wet
nursing
"Wet-nursing may be the safest option for feeding infants without mothers to
ensure their survival in an emergency situation, ideally from a woman known
to be HIV-negative. Considering the prevalence of HIV in Haiti, the
likelihood of HIV transmission during a limited period of breastfeeding,
e.g. 1-2 months, by a woman whose HIV status is not known, is very low for
the infant and even lower for the wet-nurse6. For more details on
wet-nursing and HIV, the WHO-UNICEF Integrated IYCF Counseling Course can be
consulted.7"
Translation of WHO-speak is: if a baby does not have a mother, find a wet
nurse.
Karleen Gribble
Australia