From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 13:14:25 -0400
Well, everyone, just when you thought it was safe to read the paper and watch
the news again, our famous Wall Street Journal reporter sends another zinger
our way.  This time, a letter to the editor in Compleat Mother, Summer, 1995,
p. 27.  And I quote:

"I wrote an article about the failure of most breastfeeding advocates to
provide any warning or support or sympathy for those not fortunate enough to
breastfeed.  At the time of publication I believed that failure was
unintentional.  I've come to believe some advocates would knowingly let a few
babies die rather than admit breastfeeding failure even occurs."

Kevin Helbizer (sic)
The Wall Street Journal
Down Jones & Co., Inc.
1233 REgal Road Row
Dallas, TX 75247

I'm sure Helbizer is a misprint for Helliker, as he IS from the WSJ in
Dallas.

Why is he writing to the Compleat Mother?  (Doesn't sound like his sort of
reading material...) Could it be in response to 20/20 who had the editor of
CM on their program?  What does he mean by "...some advocates?"  It could
mean anything from "helpful mothers" to health professionals such as
ourselves.  I suspect he is attempting to generate responses which will
provide him with more fodder.  Perhaps he's enjoyed the notoriety he's gotten
since last July, and is trying to keep it going.  Just think of all the
"zealot" stories he could publish!  But, probably a few well placed letters
to him personally wouldn't hurt.  Too bad there isn't a "libel"
classification for generalized "some advocates."  But then, we couldn't say
anything nasty about the Democrats or the Republicans I guess.

Thought you might enjoy getting your collective blood pressures up.  Any
thoughts?

Jan Barger