Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2015 17:56:13 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Hi Riva, 

Some women have hypersensitive nipples. Those are rare cases. There are many theories why those happen including hormonal imbalances. 

I have consulted with one mom who had hypersensitive nipples but I did start seeing her antepartum. What worked with her is desensitisation. This mom couldn't even watch a video of a breastfeeding mom. So I advised her to use positive association and to start watching videos of moms breastfeeding for a short time, then moving to touching her own nipples while meditating about something she loves. She was able to breastfeed eventually and her baby latched beautifully on birth. But again we started before delivery so we had ample time to work on it. In your case, you would need something that works quicker. 

During my case, I consulted with a neurologist to know his opinion in case the mom couldn't breastfeed and he suggested Gabapentin (neurontin). We never had to use it though. 

I am interested to know too what approaches did other LCs use for hypersensitive nipples. 

Joanna Nawfal, RN, MSN
Breastfeeding Counselor 
Beirut, Lebanon 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2