Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:16:54 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Just read the Salon article (I have the full copy if anyone wants it without logging in).

I think, overall, this is GREAT.  Let's get talking about this, at the watercoolers.  This whole series of articles, initiated by the NYTimes article, is a positive thing for the breastfeeding movement.

Now is the time to SPEAK UP and respond to these articles.  Get the truth known - that we breastfeeding advocates also know that maternity leaves in the U.S. are TERRIBLE, and DO hurt breastfeeding.  

They don't call if *working* for change, *fighting* for change, etc for nothing.  Its up to all of us to write letters, do interviews, write editorials, to keep this discussion going.  JOIN with Lori Leibovich, the author of the Salon article - she is speaking the truth.

You are more than breastfeeding advocates - you must be *mothering* advocates, and *womens* advocates.  This includes taking up the cause of minimal health care for women - which includes management of birth and breastfeeding - what could be a greater *women's* health care issue that mastitis, thrush, nipple soreness???   This also includes the cause of decent maternity leaves.  Women are not men, they can't work the same way.  Sure women are in the work force, but on *men's* terms.  Big deal.  We can be in the game, as long as we play like men.  We'll never succeed as long as we let men set the rules of the game.

Lori closes her article with the suggestion of a breastfeeding ad that puts the *employer* on the bull.
Ironically, yesterday on mothering.com (a very *crunchy* website), a mom put forward the exact SAME suggestion for how the ads should have been done.

We have so much common ground, let's show that we (breastfeeding advocates) DO *get it*.

Thanks why I've often chosen to call myself, (instead of "breastfeeding advocate')
Janice Reynolds
mother and child advocate.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2