Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 09:04:17 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
    Hi, I'm looking for some evidenced based data to show health care providers about a couple of preferences a woman has for labor, delivery, and postpartum, particulary *being able to eat and drink in labor, instead of just ice* and *being able to ambulate and move ad lib after rupture of membranes* but also references about newborn regulating his vitals and glucose better skin to skin than baking under a warmer, delaying assessments and interventions (especially the bath!), giving the shots while he's nursing, etc. I've been drowning in the archives so if anyone can point me to a specific post or date, as well as journal articles etc, I appreciate it.
    I'm looking for any references that "traditional" (ha!) L&D practices (NPO, stay in bed after ROM) and medical interventions lead to more interventions which leads to more interventions and seperation of mother and baby and compromises breastfeeding. We're trying to avoid confinement to bed --> pitocin --> epidural --> still stuck in bed --> "not progressing" --> more pitocin --> fetal distress --> c/s (all of which happened except the c/s happened with her first) and he was very sleepy --> didn't nurse well --> got bottles in the nursery --> downhill from there. too bad that sounds like the majority of births these days... :-( 
    But this time we're going very prepared with evidence, so her birth experience will facilitate an optimal breastfeeding experience!! You can email me the "off-topic" info (the L&D stuff) off-list.
Thank you so much,
Vicki Hayes RN IBCLC in Brunswick GA 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2