Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:11:09 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (96 lines)
Christine,  Thanks for the article.  I think that formal education is the biggest stepping stone.  Perhaps that is why IBLCE is pushing the education requirements along so rapidly.   

I do think that the first theory for lactation is "Breastfeeding is normal."  (Thanks, Karleen, "Breastfeeding is not best") Someone needs to write a thesis on this topic.  For me, this has made everything fall into place.  I know that it is stating the obvious ( I did grow up in a breastfeeding family).  

The first time I heard that statement, I had a slight shift in my reality.  I also see this in the faces of parents when I say to them, BF is normal, they are mammals and their baby is too.  

Suzanne Colson's theory that neonatal reflexes are feeding behaviors also helped pull this together.  It is too bad that she is not a lactation consultant.

Perhaps someone with some legal expertise would care to comment on someone who has given herself an "dis-honorable"  IBCLC?  Is this fraud?  Would it help to "out" her name on Lactnet? 

Rachel Wahl RN IBCLC

>> Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:09:08 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Becoming a profession
> 
> I have been reading the discussion on the new IBCLC requirement. I would like to assert that right now
> being a lactation consultant (certified or not) is NOT a profession based on the following from the article at this website: http://www.elearnportal.com/courses/nursing/transition-to-professional-nursing-defining-a-profession. There is also a paper written by a massage therapist that has some similar ideas about becoming a profession: http://www.elearnportal.com/courses/nursing/transition-to-professional-nursing-defining-a-profession: http://www.massagemag.com/Magazine/R.Rosen%20white%20paper.pdf

Defining a Profession
  Although "profession" and "occupation" are often used interchangeably, they exist on a continuum and have critical differences. A profession has been defined as an occupation that meets specific criteria. The question of whether or not an occupation has moved across the occupational-professional continuum and reached the status of a "profession" is often judged against such traditional areas as medicine, law, and theology.

> A profession has a unique body of knowledge/theory. WE DO NOT MEET THIS CRITERIUM
> The first criterion speaks to the need for a profession to have identifiable knowledge that belongs to that profession alone. The knowledge of a profession is well organized around theories and is largely intellectual, requiring higher learning that can be taught. 

> A profession has relevance to social values. WE MEET THIS ONE. 
> Health promotion, disease prevention, and the care of individuals with altered health states all provide valuable service to society. Nursing is service oriented, service motivated, and relevant to society. The public sees nurses as one of the most trusted professions (Institute for Global Ethics, 2001).
> 
> A profession has long and specialized educational requirements. WE DO NOT MEET THIS CRITERIUM--the new standards move us in this direction. 
> 
> A profession requires formal, in-depth, and specialized education from institutions of higher learning. 
> 
> A profession is motivated to serve the needs of the community, rather than its own self-interests. WE MEET THIS ONE. 
> 
> 
> A profession has autonomy of practice. WE DO NOT MEET THIS ONE. 
> 
> Autonomous practice requires clear credentialing/competency and systems for the development of standards of care and practice. 
> 6. It requires commitment. WE MEET THIS ONE
> 
> A profession has a sense of cohesiveness among its members. WE DO NOT MEET THIS ONE.
> 
> We have some difficulty with cohesiveness and many LC's do not belong to professional associations. Consultants do not always stick together well and do not speak with one voice.
> 
> A profession has a code of ethics. We MEET THIS ONE.
> 
> THE IBCLE has established a code of ethics.
> Christine Betzold NP CLC MSN
> www.theBFclinic.com
> 
> 714-269-9879

> Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:52:45 -0700
> From: Patricia Berg-Drazin <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: IBCLC title
> 
> 
> Julia: 
> 
> there is someone in my area who while calling herself ibclc states on her website that she is certified by iblce.. she is not/ I have reported her/ they have contacted her but in the end there is nothing they can do ... 
> 
> warmly, 
> 
> Patricia
> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2