Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 19:05:21 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I'm sure that many of us will post about WIC standing for Women, Infants, and Children program (serves pregnant women and children up to age 5) but I would like to add that it is NOT an entitlement program so is not like welfare or other programs.  It is a supplemental nutrition program.   I believe it was started by the government in answer to the overabundance of dairy at the time.  Although it is a federal program, the individual states run it and the program varies by location. 

Although all women and children receiving Medicaid automatically qualify for WIC, not all WIC participants qualify for welfare or other programs.  WIC is a great place for families to get hooked into the system though, if they are in need of referrals for other kinds of help (food stamps, immunizations, speech therapy, etc.).  

As you may guess, it is a catch 22 whether it is better to give out formula in hopes that mothers will feed their children better than they were or stop the supplements and support the BEST nutrition- breastmilk!  As a supplemental program, they do not give out all the mother will need.  We tell mothers that enough is given for a 9 pound, 2 ounce baby.  How long before your baby is heavier than that and you will need to BUY the rest needed.

Right now, I am wondering how to approach the state WIC program about the requirement that mothers who receive formula, buy ALL that is offered on the warrant or voucher (a policy in this state only).  When I asked about this policy, I was told:

"Getting" all the formula specified on the warrant is a condition of our WSCA contract with formula company.  We bill
 based on the warrants presented for redemption.  Since dollar figures are based on the number of rebatable cans shown on the warrant, there is no mechanism for us at the state office to determine, for example, that only 2 cans were redeemed out of the 4 cans listed on the warrant.  Redeeming warrants for the maximum number of cans increases the rebate coming to WIC, which or course, helps us to serve more women and children.

If a mother feels her child uses less than the full amount she's been given, she can talk to the WIC dietitian and tailoring of the food package can be done.  For example, if the infant has been issued a warrant for 4-16 oz cans of formula powder, her infant can be issued a food package for 2-16 oz cans of formula powder."

A lame excuse!  My previous state could handle this and I am going to ask them how.
Terriann Shell

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2