Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:08:11 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
I do not have specific experience with vasovagal syncope, though I do know it can be a 
problem, even for women who do not have a history of it, during a prolonged or difficult 
second stage.  Since women with epidural analgesia often have difficulty pushing due to 
loss of sensation, it seems logical that remaining free from an epidural would benefit her.  

I have a good many books on birth and have used a number of internet sites as well, but 
ounce for ounce, "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" has been the single best resource 
for describing the phases of the first stage and the emotional signposts of each phase.  It 
is very specific, giving examples of what to look for to determine what phase the woman 
is in. It also discourages artificial breathing patterns, which can sometimes cause 
hyperventilation and syncope in perfectly healthy women.  

I think the suggestions for the second stage would also be particularly beneficial to a 
woman who did not want a stressful time pushing.  It advises against the stereotypical 
scene where the mother turns purple and blows a couple of capillaries, chin on chest, 
some oxygen deprivation for her as she waits for the doctor to finally finish counting to 
10, only to be told to take a quick deep breath and do it again.  Instead it suggests 
waiting for the body to signal the woman to push and for her to push in a more focused, 
rather than harder, way only as long as she feels comfortable then a good rest before 
pushing again.

Again, I do not have specific experience with vasovagal syncope, but my familiarity with 
this description of the Bradley method seems to match the mother's desires with her 
condition.  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2