Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 01:44:14 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
I am not convinced that presenting babies/motherhood as a burden is positive in the long run.  I think that THAT is precisely part of the problem in certain cultures.  Take Spain for example.  Apart from having very little institutional support, breastfeeding is perceived as a problem by young mothers because they feel tied up to the baby.  I am almost sure that being able to get away from the baby is one of the most powerful reasons to try bottles, especially in an environment where is not common to see women breastfeeding in public.  One of my emphasis when talking to exhausted/bored/feeling-traped new moms, is to draw their attention to the joys of motherhood, to get them to relish the fact that for a while they will be the centre of the universe for that little person.  In this society (the lowest birth rate in the world) becoming a mother if full of negative implications.  Therefore, I just don't like the idea of reinforcing those perceptions in young girls.  What about stressing the fact that you need time to really enjoy a baby, and that during the teenage years there is simply too much going on in their lives?

My very personal opinion, in a place where teenage pregnancy is not perceived as a big issue. 

Lavinia, LLLeader, Madrid.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2