Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 00:23:08 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
 I agree with Linda that nipple creams of this sort are useless. I tried Lansinoh when it first came on the market with my clients who had damaged nipples and soon ditched it b/c it was either useless, made things worse (I still think it makes a very welcome environment for yeast) or creates a reliance on a product to do something it will never do, I see so many moms using this stuff for pain when it serves no purpose whatsoever for pain. Instead of getting help with latch problems, moms think they just need to continue using the cream. Whether or not this company was once Code-compliant, they used inappropriate marketing strategies, IMO, designed to get every mom using the product. Sore nipples do not need nipple cream--they need a good latch. If there is another cause (like thrush, they still do not need lanolin). 

All of that said, I have immense concern with the idea that we need "evidence" in the form of a study to use any intervention..I think clinical experience has far more value than any study in almost all breastfeeding situations. IMO, it's just one more medicalized buzz-word that limits practice--except of course in the case of the medical model where lack of evidence is the norm in everything from birth (90% of all interventions) to breastfeeding (supplement or wean b/c of anything and everything) to well....everything, really. I am just not buying the idea of "evidence-based practice" until I see it applied to the medical model. Even then, I would trust "intuitive-based practice" first, in a heartbeat. 

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2