Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 19:14:43 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Well here's my story, I'll try to be brief. To compare my hospital to yours: we had 94 births (that's about 1200/yr) in August with a 39% any breastfeeding rate (This is Mississippi, ya'll)! 

I work M-W-F and so I catch most moms on one of those days. Occasionally, but not often, I miss a mom over the weekend, and I call her first thing Monday and offer a free visit. So many moms are induced and scheduled that I don't often miss them over the weekend or a holiday. I missed one mom over the 3 day Labor Day weekend, and she was breast/bottle. 

Of course, the nurses have to cover the regular bf helping 24/7; I virtually do all of the teaching and I do followup. I do a prenatal class. I have written and received a grant for a BF center, which is slow to get my furniture and equipment in, but it's functioning. I give a f/u visit to all bf moms. I get alot of moms who don't show up or cancel, but my numbers are increasing. So if baby goes home on Friday, I'll see them Monday, etc.  I coordinate this with the pediatrician because a baby may need to be seen on a day I'm not in. I am looking for a partner to job-share right now, so we can cover 5-6 days/wk.

At another hospital with low bf rates, I used to come in 1/2 day every day, but it's hard to get out on some days and if you're commuting a good distance, which I am right now, that factors in. I schedule about 2-5 f/u visits each day I'm here. I allow 1 hour each visit. Some take less time,some take longer. I have much less f/u phone calls to make now. I only call the ones who don't show or cancel or who opt not to take the appointment. I work about 20 hrs per week on average. The grant covers 40 hrs so anyone who wants to come work with me in NE Mississippi please contact me! We're between Memphis and Tupelo.Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN New Albany MS, s.e. USA 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2