Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:07:10 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
Good, logical question.
Anybody remember tales of taking babies out in their prams for "sun baths" during the first 60 years or so of the 1900's?  What were the rickets and skin cancer rates for Native Americans in the US and the First Nations in Canada? Same with Aztecs, Incas & Mayas of the Central & South Americas.
Today, all agencies, public & private, flatly state there is NO safe level of sun exposure due to the risk of skin cancer. On the one hand, incidental exposure won't scratch the surface of our Vit D needs. With no "safe" sun exposure level, incidental exposure puts us at dire risk of skin cancer.
So it seems we can choose between rickets or skin cancer.
Some choice!

When my mother died in 1948 of what started out as a melanoma on her wrist, I don't think the medical community knew that melanomas send down a root. They just removed the part visible to the eye. Today, they keep removing tissue until several sections are clean to the microscope's eye.

Re: breastfeeding: she was allowed to breastfeed me for the first time on Day 3 for 5 minutes. That was 1943. And my grandmother said they had to feed me additional foods because my mother didn't make enough milk.  The usual story.

Phyllis

---- Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 

=============
Theresa (and others) asks:
If it's impossible to get enough Vitamin D from the sun, how did people survive all these generations?

--
Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2