Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:38:09 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (55 lines)
in regards to the discussion I have been reading about the professionalism of the LC and recognition of the work of getting breastmilk to the multitude of babies that deserve it (like 100% of babies).

I have just realized exactly how long the road will be. 

My sister who is 38, and has watched me feed my three children over the last 6 years, has just had her own baby (I got to catch!). In our discussions about the practice of nursing a child we have had many talks all through her pregnancy and even before. She knows and understands that breastmilk is for babies...all babies and any thing else is just ....well...not acceptable. 

All has gone well for the last 6 weeks. Baby is a bit fussy, but that is due to a slight OAMER. With a bit of positioning and homepathy everything is settled and now she has a babe that loves to be held near his mom's (or dad's) heart and be nursed round the clock on his own desire (Aunie Patti doing major high 5 here!).

She called me the other night in tears. The babe was on a strike. He screams when she tries to nurse him. "He's rejecting me", "he's rejecting my milk", "maybe he doesn't like my milk anymore".

Now my point is......

Does she think....hmmmm what's up with baby? What is going on? Does she go to the numerous books I have given her (Kitzinger and Sears primarily)? Does she ask herself "what is different today than yesterday and every day for the last six weeks that he has been happily suckling and drinking and peeing, pooping and sleeping as all newborns should?....and only today is experiencing such problems that he is refusing to nurse?

NO. She recalls her hubby's aunt talking about how her baby was allergic to her milk and needed formula. She calls me in absolute tears that she might be doing her baby no good.

After calming her down, I instructed her to have a lavender bath by candle light, to have hubby bring her baby once bath was cool enough. Relax and float with baby and to drink a cup of hot water with 6 drops rescue remedy, and call me in the morning (or if baby was still having a hard time).

The next morning she called all calm and relaxed. The bath worked, baby drank till drunk and slept most of the night. 

Cause of such baby behavior. She was racing around all day getting ready for a bbq and baking goodies to impress the guests. When baby was hungry she was trying to hurry the feed, which he was rebelling against. She was stressed so baby was stressed. When I discussed this with her I was amazed that she would not have deduced this. She is an emotionally intelligent and very perceptive lady who is committed to giving her baby breastmilk for at least 5 years (we have cancer risk in our family). That she would think that baby would not pick up her stress was mind blowing and that she would immediately blame her milk.

ARG!

So the end of my little tale is to show that I have had a revelation about just how hard this work is, not in just getting moms to consider and actually practice nursing their babies, but getting them confident of being able to understand that this is what is meant to be and "the milk" is not the culprit, only our minds are. I cringe at the multitude of moms that would be sending their hubby to the local store for a can and bottle (I was one of those moms with my first). 

My next rant is about moms who's peds who push formula over breastmilk. I have just met up with a mom with a 5 week old. Baby has been on 4 different formulas. Now is on Allamentium (?sp). Mom says she never started to breastfeed, but her breast leak when she takes her bra off. She wants to know if it is possible to breastfeed as she is at the end of her proverbial rope. I find it very distressing that breastmilk is not considered until it hits the pocket book. She is now hoping that WIC will pay for the formula.

the ABM companies have really got these moms hook line and sinker. 

What are her chances of successfully lactating? Any sage advice to give these moms? 

Well I guess that is enough for one morning. Thanks for listening to my anguish.

Patricia

Patricia Blomme RN
Perinatal Nurse
VP Canadian Childbirth Association
Birth Educator/Doula
Lay Breastfeeding Counselor
my website: Heads Up! All About Breech Babies http://members.home.net/ibirth
Our greatest food for thought is.......breastmilk! 

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2