Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:58:28 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (51 lines)
I would not consider 50oz (which if I have the math right is about 1.5liter) to be a overproduction for twins. Even if they do not drinkt this right now, it is my inderstanding that moms of premies must built up a supply as if for term babies in order to secure supply if babies grow into the normal term babies'needs. For twins this very well might be even a bit more than 50oz.
I think the duct blocking and/ or mastitis might come from the 4 hour pumping intervals rather than the total amount of milk produced. I can imagine that a woman can't store this amount of milk for so long in het breasts. I'd suggest to start with a good complete pumping session to empty both breast as fully as possible and then start a routine of pumping (preferable with a double pump kit) every 2-3 hours at daytime and every 3-4 hours at nighttime and pump till dripping.

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC in PP, LC lecturer in southern Netherlands

--- On Fri, 6/25/10, Charity <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Subject: [LACTNET] over-supply with twins
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, June 25, 2010, 3:05 AM

I need some suggestions for  Mom with recurrent plugged ducts/mastitis and twins.  She is currently pumping for 20-30 minutes every four hours and producing over 50 oz per day.  She could pump longer, she is not at drops when she stops.  (The babies, recently released from the NICU are not yet at the breast, and are taking in less than that).

I want her to be more comfortable AND have enough milk for her cuties, but am unsure how this works with twins.  

Does anyone have a really great tried and true pumping protocol for a situation like this?  

We are trying a variation of "block feeding", in this case "block pumping" for the time being.  She is aware of lecithin, B-complex and Vit-C as nutritional support for recurrent plugged ducts.   She had been drinking Mothers Milk tea, and has agreed to stop taking it.  I am reluctant, with the twins still being so small, to use aggressive pharmacological means to drive the milk supply down, but am open to suggestions from those with more twin experience.

Warmly,

Charity

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2