Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:03:37 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
Just so you all know - when doing my research for my class in research, I found evidence that cross-cut feeders actually flow slower under vacuum  than do round hole nipples!  Go figure that!  There's a whole lot we don't know and ideally, bottles should be measured on flow rate by measuring the baby and putting a strain gauge on the nipple so we know how much vacuum the baby is applying before we decide what the flow rate really is.  There's a lot more basic research to be done, we've been operating under assumptions for too many years now.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Hill
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 9:47 AM
Subject: paced feeding

Hi All,

I was mulling around different names for this and came up with an acronym for PACE:  Paying Attention to their Cues while Eating.  :-)
I love the use of the term: " tsunami effect".  ;-)   And just a word about
the cross cut nipples.  Have you ever seen the AR (added rice)formula?  It's almost like a thin pudding consistancy.  The babies with severe reflux or other feeding/swallowing disorders may need these "thickened" feedings to keep down their meal or to be able to swallow correctly.  Even when "simply thick" is added to expressed  breast milk -  you need a faster flowing bottle to help with the delivery.  So there is a need for the cross cut and faster flowing nipples. 
     I agree that we need to teach parents to LOOK at their baby......and to pay attention to their cues while eating!  ;-)

Linda Hill RN, IBCLC
AustinTX

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2