Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 20:44:25 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
No input to offer, but another question...

Could a crooked mouth/tongue be related to birth trauma? I had a very traumatic birth, ending with a vaccuum extraction, and suffered from temporary partial facial paralysis in the early weeks. My mother had to physically help me bottle-feed until I was less "lopsided," and could latch onto the bottle on my own. It was so bad that the only close-up of me in the early days is the one taken in the hospital. Between the crooked mouth and the horrid cone-head (also due to the extraction) I can certainly understand why no one was clammoring to take photos of me as a newborn! Of course, my mom has a 5 x 7 enlargement of it in her bedroom. Perhaps she has used it as an incentive to be consistent with birth control ;). She used to insist that I was the "most beautiful baby she had ever seen" until her grandchildren were born. Aren't moms great? Seriously, I was REALLY ugly. Even my doting stepdad occasionally cracks a joke about that picture, especially after I give birth: "Good
 thing he/she didn't come out looking like you did, ha ha ha." Lest you think he is evil, he raised me and utterly adores me. We just both think it's funny that my mom refuses to admit how weird I looked (even compared to other newborns). 

I am convinced that my face is still a bit droopy on the right side, but everyone else insists it is just the normal asymetry than non-supermodels have in their faces :)

Back to my point...is there any connection to birth interventions such as vaccuum extraction and trauma in the mouth or tongue leading to lopsidedness?

--Kellie Whitney, LLLL (hopefully much better looking now than when I was born!!!)

---------------------------------
Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2