Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 05:28:15 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
Denny, the Reuters article was from the Lancet 2000;355:451-455 or http://www.thelancet.com/newlancet/reg/issues/vol355no9202/menu_NOD999.html

This was a WHO Collaborative Study on the role of breastfeeding and infant mortality in response to the debate about whether to promote breastfeeding in developing countries where HIV prevalence is high.  Data was used from 3 studies done in Brazil, Pakistan, and the Phillipines.  What they found was that infants under 1 month or younger had a 6-fold greater risk of dying from infectious diseases.  This effect was seen to decrease with increased age but even into the 2nd year of life not breastfeeding was still associated with a 2-fold increased risk of death from diseases. My understanding  is that breastfeeding was not defined(exclusive, partial) and the first week of birth was factored out.  Which means to me that in all probability the risks are far greater.  It is interesting to note that the heading in Reuters is "Protection of breast-feeding diminishes with age."  The slant the media take with studies is very annoying.

Also, wanted to comment, Denny, on your post about soy danger study for vegetarians.  Most soy products unless specifically organic(and that may be questionable, too if labeling laws are allowed to be relaxed)may be genetically modified.  I am not sure how long(how long soybeans have been genetically modified) this has been going on but it seems like it has been for awhile.  What these studies maybe showing is the beginning of a problem with gm(genetically modified)soy products. Remember the tryptophan supplement problem?  The tryptophan that was causing the problem was genetically modified. I know you'all are thinking there she goes again--gm this, gm that, here a gm, there a gm, everywhere a gm, old macdonald had a farm he-i-he-i-oh....  Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2