Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:59:28 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I don't actually teach breastfeeding classes, but I am a volunteer bf counselor and lead a support group, as well as working as an LC at a hospital. From my own experience, I have found that when people feel criticized, they don't listen anymore. It can be difficult sometimes to get information across without people getting their "walls" up because they feel offended in some way. Also, if you come across as "wacko" or too "outside the box" many people will dismiss what you say -- dismissing everything you say.

Perhaps there are other ways to give information without yourself coming across as beyond "normal." (what others will think) I  try to say things non-judgementally and in a soft tone of voice. I also say things like "I am going to give you some information and then you'll have to make your own decision about what to do."

Lastly, I see that nowdays many women  just want labor pain free and easy. They will "try" breastfeeding and if it's easy or fun, they'll continue. Otherwise, they don't care enough and go to the bottle happily. The generation that wanted childbirth all natural and to breastfeed exclusively seem to be the grandmothers now. 

I think it is important that women be given research based information so they can make their own informed choices, but I also think that we have to give that information in a way that they will actually "hear" us.

Good luck and thanks for all you do for those pregnant moms! Kathy Eng in SE Houston 

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2