Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2012 00:03:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Fenugreek and thyroid medication
I have a new mom who has a 3 day old (second baby...low milk supply of unknown cause with first baby)....whose midwife put her on thyroid medication (for borderline hypothyroidism) and whose LC encouraged her to start using more milk plus ( to help with milk supply) which has fenugreek in it. I recently learned that fenugreek can actually block absorption of many medications, including thyroid meds. My question is, is that true about blocking absorption and if so, should I recommend that this mom NOT take fenugreek since she is going to be starting thyroid medication (I am wondering if she had undetected hypothyroidism with first baby and maybe that was part of cause of low supply then....she formula fed her first as she never had her milk come in.....never expressed more than drops of colostrum). She really wants to be able to breastfeed this baby but is very nervous about supply and doesn't want baby to lose more weight and get more jaundice (scheduled to get bill and wt check tomorrow). Thank you in advance for your time.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2